Scout wins 15 N.C. Press awards
Raleigh – The Cherokee Scout, your local news source since 1889, picked up six first-place awards out of 15 total honors in the 2016 N.C. Press Association’s News, Editorial & Photojournalism and Best Advertising Contests, which were handed out Thursday in ceremonies at the Sheraton Hotel.
For the last two decades, the Scout has been one of the most-honored newspapers across the state in Division B, which is for weekly newspapers with an average circulation of 3,500-10,000.
“I’m very happy to report that local newspapers are still doing great things,” said David Brown, publisher of the Scout. “While these awards are a nice honor for our associates, it’s only because so many local residents allow us to share their extraordinary stories and help market their vital businesses.”
Community Newspapers Inc. will announce its 2016 award-winners Thursday, April 6, at a conference in Dublin, Ga. Here are this year’s N.C. Press award winners for the Scout.
* First place, General News Photography, “Dancing queens,” by Staff Photographer Ben Katz.
* First place, Photo Page or Essay, “Dance of the flame,” Katz.
* First place, Sports Coverage, Sports Writer Kevin Hensley and Editor Matthew Osborne.
* First place, Religion & Faith Reporting, “Finding God behind bars,” Staff Writer Dwight Otwell.
* First place, Religion & Faith Reporting, “Changing Christian Love,” Otwell.
* Second place, Best Niche Publication, Country Roads summer 2016, staff.
* Third place, Sports Feature Photo, “Rodeo gets rowdy,” Katz.
* Third place, Photo Page or Essay, “Harnessing mountain roots,” Katz.
“I’m especially pleased with Dwight’s Religion & Faith Reporting awards, as that’s an area the Scout has worked hard to better cover in our community,” Brown said. “And our history of award-winning photographers continues thanks to Ben’s good eye.”
An N.C. Press official said Otwell received two first-place awards in the same category because the judge couldn’t decide which article she liked better.
* First place, Best Community Service Signature Page or Best Shared Page, “Shop Local – Save Big!” Sales Manager Donna Cook, Sales Associate Dave Stevens and graphic artist Ann Koles.
* Second place, Best Newspaper Promotion, “Cherokee Scout names published,” Brown and Koles.
* Second place, Best Real Estate Ad in a Niche Publication, Bobby Clayton Realty & Construction Inc., Stevens and Koles.
* Second place, Best Restaurant/Entertainment Ad in a Niche Publication, Valley River Brewery & Eatery, Cook and Koles.
* Second place, Best Shared Page in a Niche Publication, Courtyard Jewelry, Bobby Clayton Realty and A Andrews Mini Storage, Stevens and Koles.
* Third place, Best Innovative Concept/Wild Card, Business Honor Roll, Cook, Stevens and Koles.
* Third place, Best Niche Publication, Peaks & Valleys, staff.
“We’re blessed to have an experienced staff that knows how to build strong advertisements designed to help your business grow,” Brown said.
“Please give us a call at 837-5122, and we’ll be happy to create a program for you.”